Spiders are among the most feared of home invaders. More people have phobias about spiders than any other pest. The ironic thing is that in nature spiders are one of the planets most beneficial inhabitants. In your home though ... spiders are not welcome.Benefits of Spiders
With the exception of a few spiders, black widows and brown recluse's come to mind, most of these pests are great to have around. They eat other pests, have useful venom and limit diseases. Spiders do a very important job for mankind.
Yet, the benefits come to a halt when spiders invade your dwelling. It is best to banish spiders when they appear in your home.Spider Pest Control: Problems
Eliminating, or even controlling spiders, with chemical agents and pesticides is very hard. Biologically, they are not very receptive to chemical substances and pesticides don't readily get picked up by their bodies.
Spiders are built high off the ground. They don't drag their bodies through substances that would harm them. Also, spiders are not technically an insect. They are an arachnid. They don't groom themselves with their mouths so they won't generally ingest harmful substances.
Any type of spray has to make direct contact to kill a spider. It is often better to understand the habits of the spider and attack him that way.Outside Spider Control
There are things you can do on the outside of your home to help with spider pest control. A few are listed below:
Inside Spider Control
- Clean up debris and wood piles that are attractive to spiders. They love damp and dark spaces.
- Keep shrubs, trees and other plants far enough away from the home for light and air to penetrate the area between your home and the plants.
- When you see a spider web near your home remove it. Spiders love decks and patio furniture.
- Spiders prey on other small insects. Keep the other pests away by installing yellow lights or sodium vapor bulbs which will deter other pests from sticking around.
- Spiders are generally beneficial outside your home, particularly in your garden. They will eat many garden pests. Before harvest a gentle spray with water will help get rid of spiders.
Inside the home is really where the war of spider pest control takes places.
In addition to trying pesticides, and remember these may not be very effective, there are several other options you have to control spiders. Some follow:
- Avoid clutter. Spiders love to hide among old newspaper, magazines and just any clutter you may have around your home. Tape up old boxes as this is a favorite hiding place for a spider.
- Spiders like damp places in your home just like they do outside. Control humidity as much as you can in attics, basements and other dark areas.
- If you spot spiders, egg cases and webs in your home vacuum them as soon as possible. This is a surefire way of getting rid of spiders now and into the future.
- Check for cracks and crevices around your home. This is the favorite way spiders gain access to the dwelling. Seal up any of these with caulking. Doors and windows are also favorite places for spiders to enter your house. Make sure screens are repaired and any holes in these areas are closed. It does not take much of a crack or crevice for a spider to slip into your home.
- Residual pesticides sprayed indoors will cut down on the pest population and will cause spiders to leave since they won't have enough to eat. This is not really a long-term solution to the problem though.
- Giving a spider a whack with a shoe or the newspaper is a great way to control spiders. Basically, spiders are loners so they don't build nests and colonies. They do prefer to operate on their own. So killing even one spider helps. You generally won't have thousands and thousands of spiders to deal with.
Spiders Out of Control
Despite your best efforts to control spiders there may be times when these pesky creatures win the battle. You just might not be able to control spiders no matter what you try.
At this point it will be best to call in a professional pest control company to help in your battle with spiders. Rest assured, these experts know all the latest in controlling spiders and they often do so in ways that are more organic than you might think.
Spiders will be somewhat of a challenge to control. Contact Markle Pest Management for a professional solution to your spider worries.