The original habitation of Raccoons is the mixed or deciduous forest. But they are highly adaptable. So are frequently seen in mountainous areas, coastal marshes, and even urban areas. They are most common in North America.
Raccoons can adapt to urban areas because they are able to find food and space to sleep with ease. In small towns and suburbs, raccoons sleep in nearby forests after having their fill in the town. They consume fruits, insects in gardens, leftovers, waste food, etc.
Raccoons are considered pests because:
- They cause irreparable damage to property.
- They carry rabies.
- They use up the attic space, etc. for nesting.
- They carry a lethal virus in their saliva making their bite dangerous.
- They attack pets and sometimes pet owners as well.
Hence, the growth of raccoons needs to be checked.
There are simple tips to avoid the infestation of raccoons in your home:
- Seal portions of the house from where raccoons can get access into the home.
- Ensure that the vents in the roof are heavy duty and animal free.
- Make sure that trees are at least 6”-8” away from your home so as to prevent their entry.
- Cover chimneys, etc.
- Trash cans should be kept securely covered.
- Ensure that leftover pet food is not left scattered.
- Fruits from fruit trees should be picked up as they will attract raccoons.
- Cover compost piles.
Although not exhaustive, these are some useful measures you can take around the home to prevent entry of raccoons.
However, if despite this, raccoons still somehow enter your property you will need to seek the help of a professional animal control company. If you are in Plano TX and are affected by raccoons, you can hire the Raccoon Control services of Markle Pest. We are a professional pest exterminator and wildlife control company who help you get rid of different types of pests.